Monday, January 16, 2006

People

In chapter 6 of her book Making A Literary Life, Carolyn See discusses the importance of hanging out with people who support your work. At a minimum she recommends steering clear of people who don't support your work. I've started to pull away from a few people in my life. Each person I've decided to distance myself from is a member of the criticism choir - a choir that has been loud and constant since my grandmother's death last month. My support network shrank noticeably when Grandma died because I realized some people who claimed to support me were core members of the criticism choir. Those people have to go. Is there someone in your life you need to pull away from?

1 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Devon Ellington said...

What a wonderful phrase: "The Criticism Choir".

That sums it up perfectly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home