Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Exercise Part VI

How did the story last week work?

I have to confess, I haven’t quite finished mine. Working those three topics in together has made it more of a caper than I expected – I thought it would be a more serious piece, but it’s turned out, in the first draft anyway, to have a lot of humor in it.

I’m going to keep working on it while I work on this week’s exercise.

Choose one of the characters from any of the stories in the previous weeks, and write a new piece in first person, from the character’s point of view. It can be a variation on any topic we’ve worked on thus far, or something completely new.

No word count limit this time, but I suggest shorter rather than longer, so you don’t feel overburdened in a week.

Hmm. My instinct is to go back to the very first piece – the wounded soldier from Iraq who returned and was charged for his medical care – but I’ve used characters from that piece in another crossover, and I think I should use someone else. I have to think about this one for a bit.

Anyone get the feeling that the first piece has the strongest hold on me?

Next week, we’ll look back at the stories and start revisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home