Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Object Exercise

Here’s another exercise for you. I’m going to give you the names of five objects. You work them into a story. I suggest keeping the story 5000 words or less (probably 1500-2500 will work best).

The objects:

A coral-colored lipstick

One blue satin sandal

One pair of monogrammed cufflinks

A cigarette lighter

A gold-capped fountain pen


You can choose which items feature prominently, if any, and which are mentioned in passing. Just because there’s a list of five objects does not mean each one merits equal weight in your story.


Now then . . .go for it!

1 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger Colin said...

OK! I know I'm late in doing these exercises but I plan to catch up. I wrote 1600 words of a first draft for a story called Regrets today, based on this prompt.

It is nothing like I originally thought it might be like. I envisaged some kind of spy/crime type scenario set in the 1930's but then an idea came to me that I couldn't resist.

Set in suburbia, a young boy comes to terms with the death of his girlfriend and the tragedy that is unfolding around him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home