Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Painting Exercise

No, I don’t expect you to paint rather than write (although it’s a good way to relax in between stories).

This week, I would like you to choose a painting. Spend a few minutes every day truly looking at it. Look at it closely (even under a magnifying glass). Look at it from far away. Look at it upside down (yes, if it’s hanging on the wall, you’ll have to be the one who’s upside down).

And write a story about it, in it, inspired by the painting.

I had a difficult time deciding between a half a dozen paintings (Edward Hopper’s work I find particularly inspiring, and also Giorgio de Chirico’s).

The painting I decided to use for this week’s exercise, however, is “Le Chateau Noir” by Paul Cézanne.


Looking back at last week’s object exercise, how was it?

When I began the piece, I expected it would be a mystery; however, it turned out to be something else entirely. The tentative title is “As the Sky Lightens”. It’s a flash fiction (at least in its first draft) of about 500 words, more comic than mysterious, with an unusual (for me) protagonist.

Will I be able to sell it? Who knows? But it’s true to itself, and that’s what’s important. I’ll be revising it over the coming weeks to see where I think I can place it.

1 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Colin said...

I chose a pastel drawing by Dee Rimbaud called, 'Born Upon A Storm' and wrote a piece of flash fiction entitled, 'Spawning'.

You can view the picture and the accompanying story at my blog: http://freedomfromthemundane.blogspot.com/2006/08/new-man.html

Cheers,

Colin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home