Thursday, May 11, 2006

Building a Personal Library

A must for any writer, no matter your genre, would be a personal library.
Size isn't important. Some writers have three books, some have three thousand--no matter, as long as they have a personal library of books that inspire and educate, that is the main point.

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that reading is preparation for writing. When you are a child, if you read, you glean the necessary tools for building stories. It's called practice.

All the writers I know read regularly, whether by hobby or for reference, or for inspiration. Reading the ideas and words of others can inspire and enlighten, and motivate us to write our best.

Personal libraries can be had for relatively little expense, thanks to Amazon.com, Ebay, Half-price Books, and all those used bookstores near you. Build your library slowly (or quickly, depending on your financial situation.) When you feel the Block, or you need info, you can go to your personal library for help.

I highly recommend it. It is a great tool, for every writer.

2 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger No Filter: The Book said...

good books can make the heart feel glad .. and inspire the mind of the writer .. even years later ...

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent advice! I have books everywhere in my home and have been a voracious reader since I learned to put two words together. I know it's helped me in my chosen profession.

Reading fills my soul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home