Sunday, February 05, 2006

Let's Hear It

Since it first came on the scene in the last decade or so, I've been a huge fan of the audio technology that allows us to read -- with our ears.

Downloadable books are great company for travelers and people who spend a lot of time going about their daily lives, where their eyes need to be focused in other places, rather than on a page. Without a doubt, I'm sure many agree that no matter how old we get, most of us still enjoy being "read to." As a result, the latest audiobook companies provide high-quality audio with great readers (often actors) that make the pages fly by. Audible.com, Amazon and iTunes all offer downloadable titles that you can play on your computer, burn on CDs, or send to your MP3 player, so your chosen story travels with you.

I've found that for long-distance driving especially, nothing can beat a good story, told in an engaging, made-for-good-storytelling voice. Therefore, books on audio, when necessary, certainly get my vote, for catching up on my reading when time is at a premium.

As a side note: This trend has also trained me to frequently read my own work out loud during the drafting phases. And, it never ceases to amaze me how differently some things might sound -- as opposed to how you've been seeing it lined up across your computer screen.

Try it sometime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home